SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AND INNOVATION
Research directions developed by the Faculty of Odontology: Pathology of the face, jaws and mouth.
Main research areas:
- Research into the effectiveness of the diagnosis and treatment of dental and oral diseases;
- Optimisation of diagnostics and treatment of dental and maxillofacial diseases, research of materials and technologies used for oral health and quality of life;
- Influence of genetic and environmental factors on the development of orthodontic anomalies, and the significance of orthodontic anomalies on oral health and quality of life indicators;
- Optimisation of the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the face and jaws, research in biological materials, regenerative medicine and health technologies;
- Analysis of etiopathogenesis, epidemiology and methods of prevention or treatment of tooth decay in children and adults.
Cooperation with Lithuanian and foreign universities is being developed: Kaunas University of Technology, Vilnius University, Riga Stradins (Latvia), Tartu (Estonia), Oulu (Finland), Hacettepe (Turkey), Granada (Spain), Michigan (USA), Porto (Portugal), Aarhus (Denmark), Cardiff ( United Kingdom) universities.
NON – FORMAL EDUCATION AT THE FACULTY OF ODONTOLOGY
There are two student scientific societies (SDM) at the Faculty of Odontology: Odontology Circle and Facial and Maxillofacial Surgery Circle. All university students can become members of LSMU SMD, do research work, attend group meetings and seminars organised for the members of the university’s community. Every two years, LSMU SMD organises a national conference of young scientists (JMTK), which is open not only to the university community, but to all young Lithuanian researchers interested in innovations in biomedical sciences.
The conference is attended by students, who do not yet have a doctorate, of Medicine, Odontology, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine and other biomedical fields . The Association of Student Odontologists (SOA), a voluntary professional non-governmental organisation of student odontologists, has been active at the faculty since 2004. SOA not only promotes the faculty of dentistry at the congress of the European Dental Students Association (EDSA), but also participates in public activities – visits orphanages, day centres, and collects charity for the treatment of serious patients. It is engaged in educational activities, thus organising a series of short lectures “An Hour with an Odontologist”, where odontologists are invited to introduce themselves and tell about their work. SOA is also engaged in unifying activities of students – organises annual orienteering competitions in Kaunas, LSMU sports festival and other sports tournaments, battles of minds, freshman camps, Apollonia talent evening.
February 9th is an important date for the odontology community. On this day, the International Feast of St. Apollonia, the patron saint of odontologists, is celebrated. To commemorate this occasion, the Faculty of Odontology organises a battle of minds and a talent evening with the participation of both students and faculty members. Active students take part in the “Feast of Smiles”. This is a traditional event full of acting and humor organised by the students of the Faculty of Odontology of LSMU. It awards the most outstanding, most deserving lecturers and students of the year.