The aim of the LSMU Bioethics Center is to carry out ethical supervision of the works performed by undergraduate o postgraduate LSMU students and to assess the compliance of their research projects with the general principles of research ethics.
According to the provisions of the Declaration of Helsinki (1964 – 2008) and the European Convention on Human Rights and Biomedicine (1997), all scientific projects carried out in the field of biomedical sciences (including student research) must not violate human dignity and human rights, must not conflict academic Integrity, ensure the free consent of the informed person (subject), as well as guarantee privacy of research subjects, confidentiality and anonymity of their personal data and to provide as much social and scientific benefit as possible and as little possible harm or potential risk to research individuals in the broadest sense.
The mission of the LSMU Bioethics Center is to develop students’ ethical competence in scientific activities and to improve the ethical climate of the entire academic community, which would ensure harmonious mutual relations and organizational culture at the level of the best universities in the world.
The long-term vision of the LSMU Bioethics Center is that LSMU graduates as future health professionals, scientists or researchers or representatives of health care institutions could meet high ethical standards and would be able to conduct legal and ethical research in the fields of biomedicine and other health sciences.
REQUIREMENTS AND DOCUMENTS FOR GRANTING THE APPROVAL
If you are planning scientific research (for bachelor or master thesis or other purposes) you should obtain the institutional approval granted by Bioethics Center at Lithuanian University of Health Sciences.
Accordingly, you should:
- prepare the application documents in written form (see below for details);
- submit the properly prepared application form and additional documents for ethical review by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and bring it to our office (see details in CONTACTS below);
- your application is being evaluated in 30 calendar days after registration;
- you are informed on granted approval for your research project or you are asked to edit, adjust or amend the application according to reviewers’ comments or recommendations;
- after receiving the approval (original document), you may start your research study and/or data collection.
The list of documents to be provided to the Bioethics Center:
- The request application.
- The self-assessment form of student research (mandatory to all types of the student research projects).
- The copy of all research instruments (i.e., survey questionnaires, data collection forms, scales etc.).
4. The information sheet and consent forms (only if it applicable). See the template form here.
- Note – in cases of anonymous surveys, retrospective studies proceeded by students for academic purposes, written forms of informed consent are not required).
- The permission of the head of institution (or head of clinics or department in case of study in LUHS or LUHS Hospital Kaunas Klinikos).
- Other documents related to your research (for example, the CE certificate for medical devices, the qualification certificate or other necessary permissions or approvals from other internationals institutions if your study covers institutions out of Lithuania).
7. The copy of the official approval from national or regional bioethics committee if you are involved in biomedical research.
All the template documents are available below.
The application review is based on the ethical evaluation questionnaire (available soon).