You can come to Lithuania on a study or science basis. If you are a student, teacher or researcher and are going to stay in Lithuania for no longer than a year, you can get a national visa. If you intend to stay longer, you should opt for a temporary residence permit (it is usually issued for 1 year, for students, for researchers and for teachers – for 2 years, and can be renewed later). You may receive a national visa for the duration of consideration of your application for a temporary residence permit.
If you hold a valid temporary residence permit or national visa issued by another Member State of the European Union for the purpose of study and you are covered by a programme financed by the European Union or its Member States to promote the mobility of third-country nationals within the European Union or by an agreement between two or more higher education establishments, you may come to pursue a part of your studies and stay in the Republic of Lithuania for a maximum of 360 days without a visa, and you can work too.
For a more detailed information about documents necessary for a visa or TRP procedure visit the website of the MIGRATION DEPARTMENT.
In order to get your national visa D or TRP (Temporary residence permit) issued, you must apply to the Embassy of Lithuania or to external service provider’s visa application center – VFS.GLOBAL
FOREIGNERS CAN OBTAIN A TEMPORARY RESIDENCE PERMIT BEFORE COMING TO LITHUANIA
From 2 January 2023, foreigners wishing to obtain a temporary residence permit Lithuania (TRP) will be able to submit their applications in 34 different foreign countries at the VFS Global.
VFS Global offices services is available to all foreign nationals legally present in the country where a such services are provided.
Countries where the offices of the external service provider VFS Global will be open: Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Brazil, Canada, Sa Kartvel, India, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Moldova, Moldova, Nepal, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, Venezuela.
The VSF Global offices is authorized:
- to provide clients with information on the procedure for issuing temporary residence permit (TRP).
- to accept applications and all required documents.
- to collect personal and biometric data of applicants and transfer all data to the Migration Department of the Republic of Lithuania.
The decisions on whether or not to issue a temporary residence permit will be taken only by the Migration Department of the Republic of Lithuania.
Mandatory fee – 60.00 EUR. The duration of the examination of the application is up to 3 months.
- Once the Migration Department’s specialists have taken a decision to issue a temporary residence permit in Lithuania, the card produced will be sent abroad. Thus, the foreigner will arrive in Lithuania with a valid residence permit and will no longer need to obtain an additional visa.
- If the foreigner has a visa entitling to come to Lithuania, or if he/she uses a visa-free regime. He/she will be able to collect the temporary residence permit (TRP) card at the Migration Office in Lithuania, when arrived to Lithuania.